You and The Law – Foster Care: The Road to Permanency and Social Media & Internet Safety 2018
You and the Law: Foster Care: The Road to Permanency and Social Media & Internet Safety
On March 27, 2018 the Roanoke Law Foundation presented a program that included the following:
- To educate the public regarding the jurisdiction of the Court and how the Court operates.
- Presentation of Local Statistics on the Impact of Substance Abuse on Foster Care.
- Observe a mock Termination of Parental Rights hearing and see the difficult decisions the judge, prosecutors and public defenders must sometimes make.
- A panel discussion followed the mock hearing. Representatives include Juvenile and Domestic Relations Judge, Guardian ad litem, Department of Social Services and a Court Appointed Special Advocate.
- The effect social media and the use of various apps play in the court room. Including a power point presentation titled “Internet Safety” by Senior Police Staff.
The presenters included three judges from the Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court, counsel for the Department of Social Services, Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA), Guardian ad litem and a member from the Senior Police Staff.